- 1 Current/Running Experiments
- 2 Past run plans
- 3 12 GeV Data Summaries
- 4 Hall C Links
- 5 Hall C
- 6 Basic Equipment in Hall C
- 6.1 Beam Energy
- 6.2 Beam Current Monitoring (BCM)
- 6.3 Beamline
- 6.4 SHMS Magnets
- 6.5 Spectrometer Optics
- 6.6 Scattering Chamber
- 6.7 SHMS Entrance Window and Vacuum vessel
- 6.8 Target
- 6.9 HMS Magnets and Vacuum Vessel
- 6.10 HMS Detectors
- 6.11 SHMS Detectors
- 6.12 DAQ & Trigger
- 6.13 Controls
- 6.14 Online Replay
- 6.15 Data Analysis
- 6.16 Monte Carlo
- 7 Hall C at 12 GeV
Upcoming NPS experiments
Deuteron Experiment d(e,e'p)n (E12-10-003)
- RC Daily Meetings (Fall 2022 and Winter 2023)
- On Call List and Instructions
- Hall-C Logbook
- Shutting off HMS LCW
EMC and X>1 Experiments (E12-10-008/E12-06-105)
The inclusive electron scattering cross-section will be measured for several light to medium heavy nuclei over a broad range of x (0.1 < x < 1) and at x greater than one (x > 1).
RC Meeting Zoom Link - Meeting ID: 160 710 0885
- Shift Sign-up
- Shift Sign-up (Read only)
- Information for Shift Takers (HowTo)
- Hall-C Logbook
- XEM specific shift instructions
- XEM analysis instructions
- XEM: Notable Events and Changes
- XEM Wiki
XEM2 Run Plans
- HMS: New setting, Continuation
- SHMS: New setting,Continuation
Past run plans
Previous run plans and information for completed/run 12 GeV experiments are included in the links below.
- PionLT - E12-19-006
- Polarised Helium-3 - E12-06-110/E12-06-121
- VCS Polarisabilities - E12-15-001
- KaonLT - E12-09-011
- SIDIS pt - E12-09-017
- SIDIS CSV - E12-09-002
- The J/ψ-007 - E12-16-007
- CT - E12-06-107
- F2 Large x
- F2 - E12-10-002
- Deuteron Electrodisintegration - E12-10-003
- Fall 2017 Commissioning
- Spring 2017 Commissioning
12 GeV Data Summaries
Pages summarising measured data for various purposes in the 12 GeV era are listed below -
- 12 GeV HMS Optics Data
- 12 GeV SHMS Optics Data
- 12 GeV Elastics Data
- 12 GeV Luminosity Data
- 12 GeV Physics Data Summary
Note that this is a work in progress as of the 23rd of January 2023.
Hall C Links
- Hall C Futures
- Commissioning analysis meetings
- List of (legacy) Hall-C HowTo Documents
- HCANA doxygen
- Google Search of this Wiki
- Hall C Home Page
- Hall C Logbook
- Document Database (Publically readable view)
- Hall C Calendar (Google)
- Hall C Weekly Meeting minutes
- Previous Experiments
- Other Wikis
- Misc Links:
- Survey and Alignment Group: Surveys 2001-Present
- Hall C posters
- Hall C is one of four experimental halls at JLab.
- Hall C Computing.
- Hall C in the Press.
Common Hall C Training Requirements
NOTE: These are the commonly required training to access and run shifts in Hall C.
The formal requirements will be outlined in the Run Safety Documentation for your particular experiment.
Contact a spokesperson and/or the RC if you have questions.
- Annual Security Awareness (GEN034) • Expires: Annually (January)
- Physics Division Work Governance (SAF116kd) • Expires: Annually (January)
- General Access RWP (SAF801kd) • Expires: Annually (December)
- Oxygen Deficiency Training (SAF103) • Expires: Annually (24 months from date taken)
- ES&H Orientation (SAF100) • Expires: Annually (24 months from date taken)
- RadWorker 1 Written Test (SAF801T) • Expires: Annually (24 months from date taken) • Must be taken on-site -- register well in advance if the Lab is still in a MedCon status!
- Hall C Walkthrough (SAF112) • Expires: Never • Must be done at JLab during a down. Schedule in advance!
These are also required as long as JLab is in an elevated MedCon status due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- SAF003 training: Working Safely at Jefferson Lab During Elevated MedCon Levels
- ESH-20-102494-OSP: COVID-19 Pandemic Controls (READ NOW, sign copy in CH when you arrive.)
Many courses are Web based and can be found on the JLab Training Page.
You can check your training status online.
Also, don't forget to register your visit at least 7 days prior to your trip:
Recommended Mailing Lists
Recommended Mailing Lists JLab runs many Mailing Lists to communicate with its Staff and Users. Most are available for general sign-up by clicking on the relevant link and following the instructions.
There are a few Mailing Lists that Hall C Users are strongly encouraged to subscribe to:
There are also experiment specific Mailing Lists. Contact the Experiment Coordinator if you do not see yours here:
Basic Equipment in Hall C
Beam Current Monitoring (BCM)
For the Fall 2017 run, see intructions at https://hallcweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php/How-to
The formulas and program should be kept in sync with the repository.
- Formulas used for setting current of SHMS magnets during KPP
|HB||Current = 330.05*p - 3.1784*p^2 + 0.4018*p^3|
|Q1||Current = 222.4*p - 7.709*p^2 + 0.6684*p^3|
|Q2||Current = 3661*p/11|
|Q3||Current = 2434*p/11|
|Dipole||Current = 3450*p/11|
SHMS Survey Data
- The SHMS collimator/sieve assembly is located between the Horizontal Bender and the first quadrupole.
- The SHMS collimator/sieve are made of Mi-TechTM Tungsten HD-17 (Density 17 g/cc. 90% W, 6% Ni, 4% Cu).
- The SHMS collimator is a flared octagonal aperture with thickness of 2.5 inches.
- There are two SHMS sieves. Each with thickness of 1.25 inches.
- The sieves have the same hole pattern but one sieve has the hole pattern horizontally shifted by half the hole spacing.
- Drawings of the collimator and two sieves.
- The drawings show details of the sieve hole patterns and the collimator shape.
SHMS optics data
HMS Survey Datab
- The HMS collimators/sieve assembly is located in 166.4 cm from the target in front of the first quadrupole.
- The HMS collimators/sieve are made of Mi-TechTM Tungsten HD-17 (Density 17 g/cc. 90% W, 6% Ni, 4% Cu).
- The HMS collimators are both a flared octagonal aperture with thickness of 2.5 inches.
- There are two HMS collimators which are designated as the "larger" and "small" collimators.
- Drawing of the small collimator. It is labelled as the "top" collimator in the drawing. The "center" collimator is the drawing was replaced by the present day large collimator.
- Could not find a drawing of the present day large collimator.
- The dimensions are front (back) opening in the horzontal direction are 4.575cm (4.759cm) along top of octagon and 9.150cm (9.518cm) at the vertical middle of the octagon.
- The dimensions are front (back) opening in the vertical direction are 11.646cm (12.114cm) along side of octagon and 23.292cm (24.228cm) at the horizontal middle of the octagon.
- The HMS sieve has thickness of 1.25 inches.
- Drawings of the sieve.
HMS Optics Data
- The scattering chamber window on the SHMS side is 0.020 inches thick 2024-T4 aluminum.
SHMS Entrance Window and Vacuum vessel
- The Horizontal Bender entrance window is 0.010 inches thick 2024-T3 aluminum.
- The dipole exit window is 0.020 inches thick 5056 aluminum.
Spring 2017 KPP run
- Word doc describing the targets and their thicknesses. Also available at logbook entry.
- Drawing of target ladder. Also available at JLab document repository.
Fall 2017 run
- Logbook entry on the Fall target configuration which has links to file describing the targets and their thicknesses and a file with the mechanical drawing of the target ladder.
- BeO target was replaced by the "halo" cylinder target. Logbook entry with drawing of "halo" cylinder target.
- Drawing of target ladder with cryo cells and solid target ladder.
- Drawing of cryotarget cell with 2.5inch diameter and 10 cm long (after using insert entrance window). Used for separate LH2 and LD2 cells in ladder.
- Drawing of cryotarget with 1.6 inch diameter for 4cm cell.
- Drawing of cryotarget with 1.6 inch diameter for 10cm cell.
Sept 2021 run
- Draft document on the September 2021 target ladder assembly
- Logbook entry by David Meekins with link to target configuration
June 2022 run
HMS Magnets and Vacuum Vessel
- Drift Chambers
- Heavy Gas Cherenkov
- Noble Gas Cherenkov
- Miscellaneous Information
DAQ & Trigger
- DAQ/Trigger Run Check Lists
- DAQ/FADC firmware History
- Trigger History
- Spring 2018 Commissioning
- Fall 2017 Commissioning
- Hall C DAQ How-tos
- Electronic/Computer Live Time Studies
- Yerevan Test Stand
- Video Screens Recovery
- High Voltage
- Spectrometer Controls (Use go_cmagnets command)
- HMS and SHMS Collimator Control document.
- See Collimator controls on How-to page
- NOTE: Do not attempt a reset of the collimator controls unless you have reason to believe that the collimator has moved and have checked with the RC
- Basic Hall C replay structure on github.
- Brief overview of the basic Hall C replay structure .
- Analyzer and other Hall C related software
- Compiling hcana with cmake
- Discussion of the HCANA software flow.
- Documentation on the Hall C optics optimization.
- Software task list for summer of 2017.
- Summer 2017 Analysis Workshop
- 2018 Hall A/C Analysis Workshop
- Agendas for biweekly software meetings.
- Simona's notes
Hall C at 12 GeV
- Hall C 12 GeV Upgrade Web Page
- SHMS-HMS User Group wiki page with list of board members, charter and table of contacts.
- Listing of newsletters on the SHMS/HMS/12GeV .
- SHMS Mailing List (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the mailing list for sharing information on the SHMS and 12 GeV upgrade in general.
- Index of 12 GeV software related wiki pages. Go to Hall C Software Mailing List (email@example.com) to see the archives from the mailing list or to subscribe to the mailing list.
- Index of SHMS related wiki pages.
- Polarized 3He target in Hall C
- Wiki pages for 12 GeV experiments:
- d(e,e'p) break-up experiment
- CaFe Experiment
- Polarized WACS
- Polarized TCS
- Azz: Azz Meetings
- E12-10-002 F2/EMC/x>1
- Deuteron Experiment d(e,e'p)n Deuteron Electro-Disintegration At Very High Missing Momenta
- E12-06-107 Color Transparency Experiment
- A1nd2n A1n and d2n Experiments E12-06-110 and E12-06-121
- SIDIS Run group Experiments E12-09-002 (Charge Symmetry Violation) , E12-09-011 (Kaon factorization) and E12-09-017 (P_t scan of SIDIS)
- Elog for 12GeV Preparations
- Commissioning Analysis Meetings Page